Sunday, October 18, 2009

Wait to have breast augmentation surgery until your health is stable


http://www.realself.com/question/Breast-augmentation-safety-thyroid-ablation

Breast implants safe after thyroid ablation?

I'm 31 years old and a mother of 3 children. After the birth of my last child, I got Graves Disease. I tried for remission on an anti-thyroid drug, but I did not obtain it.

I'm scheduled to have my thyroid ablation on Nov. 6th. I'm also scheduled for breast augmentation on Nov. 23rd. I'm very excited about both procedures. Is it safe for me to have surgery after the ablation? And, I will be using the IV sedation with the augmentation which is only about 45mins. Will my hormones react to anesthesia?

Enough3 in North Myrtle Beach

A: Wait to have breast augmentation surgery until your health is stable

Karen M. Horton, MD

Congratulations on your decision to have breast augmentation! As long as it is done for the right reasons, in an appropriate candidate, and by a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon, and at the appropriate time, breast augmentation is a wonderful procedure with fabulous results!

However, when you are actively treating any complex medical condition such as Graves Disease (overactive thyroid), you should postpone elective surgery until your medical situation has stabilized.

Radioactive ablation of the thyroid can have a short-term surge of thyroid hormone release, followed by a longer period of hypothyroidism (low thyroid) when your natural thyroid hormone decreases.

I speak from personal experience: it can take up to a year or longer for the full effect of the thyroid ablation to be complete. During this time, you will need to take increasing doses of thyroid replacement until your own thyroid has completely stopped working or its production of hormone is stable. Your mood, energy level, metabolism and other body systems can undergo major swings.

The thyroid gland controls your metabolism and nearly all your organ systems. I would strongly advise against having a surgical procedure while you are being treated for this condition.

Ask your Endocrinologist about how long you should wait before undergoing elective surgery.

Best of luck to you, and take care of your health first!

Karen M. Horton, M.D., M.Sc., F.R.C.S.C.